Event: Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks
Titles: Undisputed (Tyson defending) and Lineal (Spinks defending)
Date: June 27, 1988
Location: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
Referee: Frank Cappuccino
Promoter: Don King
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (7th defense of Tyson)
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (6th defense of Tyson)
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (4th defense of Tyson)
- The RING Magazine Heavyweight Title (Spinks defending)
Tyson vs Spinks facts & stats
Tyson vs Spinks Fact & Stats
- This bout was one of the most anticipated events in professional sports and garnered worldwide interest
- Michael Spinks was a 4-1 underdog
- Tyson vs Spinks was the 1988 RING Magazine Round of the Year.
- Some experts have said that Tyson would have been a threat to any heavyweight in history on this night.
- Spinks, a former light heavyweight champion, was only 4-0 as a heavyweight at the time.
- Although Spinks was stripped of his belts, he was regarded by many purists as the lineal (i.e. real and legitimate) heavyweight champion because he defeated the previous lineal champion, Larry Holmes, and had not lost to another man.
- Despite Spinks’ status, many fans considered Mike Tyson the real champion because he’d defeated the champions of all three sanctioning bodies – WBC, WBA, and IBF.
- Tyson, only 21, earned a record $22 Million USD, the biggest purse sum ever paid to a boxer at that moment
- Result: Tyson (Won) KO 1 Spinks