(Funny video) Boxing legend has choice words for judges after alleged robberyWritten by
April 19, 1986 : Micheal Spinks SD 12 Larry Holmes
Las Vegas Hilton, Hilton Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Referee: Mills Lane
Title: IBF (1st defending of Spinks)
144-141 - Holmes
141-144 - Spinks
Unofficial UPI scorecard:
Unofficial AP scorecard:
Holmes vs Spinks 2
- Larry Holmes (48-1) vs Michael Spinks (28-0)
- This bout was a rematch of their first meeting seven months prior in which Spinks became the first reigning World Light Heavyweight Champion to defeat a reigning World Heavyweight Champion, seizing victory by the scores of 145-142 twice and 143-142; The AP and UP had Holmes winning 144-141 and 146-141, respectively.
- In their rematch, newly-crownded heavyweight champion Michael Spinks survived two near knockdowns in Rounds 14 and 15 to squeak out a split decision over Larry Holmes and retain his version of the heavyweight title.
- Most observers at ringside, in dismay after the verdict for the rematch was announced, believed Holmes should have been awarded the decision
- Believing he'd been robbed twice, Holmes, after dropping decisions in two controversial bouts to Michael Spinks, had some choice words for the judges.