Joshua vs Parker location and venue: Where would it be?Written by Lee Cleveland
It appears a showdown between heavyweight title-holders is upon us.
IBF/WBA champion Anthony Joshua of England could face his WBO peer, Joseph Parker of New Zealand, in early to mid 2018.
Promoter Eddie Hearn told Sportsman: "We are certainly closer than we were. We have spoken a lot with their team and we are within touching distance, so it is just about getting all parties happy and agreed. I’m confident we will and the aim would be for the end of March."
So where would this unification fight take place if it happens in March?
Joshua vs Parker location and venue
According to Hearn, the clear frontrunner is located in the Greenwich portion of London, UK.
"The location could be the O2 and what a great return that would be. Our aim has always been for three fights in 2018 and that means March and the weather means going indoors."
"The O2 has been great to AJ so it’s a strong possibility, if we can get everything else lined up."
Froch vs Kessler at O2 Arena
"I’m confident we will, so long as they are serious about wanting this fight."
Why O2 Arena?
O2 Arena, built under the former Millennium Dome, is indoor, as Hearn stated. Hence, an outside stadium wouldn't be conducive to March weather. Moreover, the location, including its proximity to Greenwich Station, makes it easily accessible for a good chunk of Joshua's fans in and around London.
From May 2015 to February 2016, all five of Joshua's fights took place there, including his title-winning KO of Charles Martin and his first title defense against Dominic Breazeale. And for those fights, the atmosphere was electric, reminiscent of a March Madness NCAA Tournament game.
AJ's last three bouts have taken place in Principality Stadium (Cardiff, Wales), Wembley Stadium (London) and Manchester Arena (Manchester).
O2 Arena facts & stats
- The original building itself was finished in 1999 and opened on January 1, 2000 as the Millennium Dome.
- On June 24, 2007, the enhanced, rebuilt venue reopened as O2 Aren.
- It is one of the largest arenas in Europe and has a capacity of 20,000 people.
- Seating can be adjusted according to the type of event and crowd expectation, and the surface ground can be changed to accommodate various events, whether concerts or sports
- AJ made his pro debut there in October 2013 it has served as the hosting venue for 7 of his 20 bouts
- During the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, the venue was referred as the North Greenwich Arena due to Olympics regulations regarding corporate sponsorship of event sites
- As of 2015, the O2 Arena was the busiest music arena in the world in terms of ticket sales, handling 1,819,487 tickets.
- The facility was built to reduce echoing, a common problem among London music venues.
- More than 60 million people have visited the O2 since it opened
Is there anything like this in the U.S? It's an awesome venue for a concert, hockey game or.... good ol' fashioned boxing.